About

“No Regrets” is a short film made by respected British stills photographer Karl Taylor.

“This is my first foray into film making and was a personal exercise into the difficulties and pitfalls of the medium as well as a personal experiment into the capabilities of HD-DSLRs for this type of story telling.

Having been inspired by Vincent Laforie’s “Reverie” but without the budget or sponsorship and support from Canon, it also became an exercise for me in how to make an effective and visually interesting piece, but on very low budget!”

“Predominantly filmed on Canon DSLRs including the 5D mk2 and a 7D it was an opportunity for me to explore the differences in producing high end images for stills photography and creating images with feeling, atmosphere and depth in a motion form”

This entry was posted in The Making of No Regrets. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to About

1. Gjertrud says:

VERY nice. What camera do you use and with what lence? Fan in Norway :)

2. Rogier Rood says:

Hi Karl,
    Congratulations with the award! It’s a very beautiful film. Stunning still motions. Also great to see how you managed to keep the excitement up along the 10 minutes.
    Regards, Rogier Rood

3. Sharon Manaton says:

This had me transfixed! What a beautifully created film and all with DSLR’s. Just shows the amazing capabilities these little boxes of gismo’s have when used in such a creative and imaginative manner. Well done Karl…….Does your talent have no bounds at all?

4. Milo says:

Very nice done! How you play with your depth to field an all that stuff wonderful !!!

only is se an axis error at 0:51 at the 1st shot she walks from the right to the left and in the 2th shot she walks from the left to the right. It bothers me a little bit.

greet,
    Milo

• KTadmin says:

Hi Milo, thanks for your comments. At 51 secs I am filming from one side of the road looking towards the bushes and then the second angle is from the bushes (where the film started) to show the context of the location. This was an intentional camera decision for visual effect, but glad you like the rest :)

5. francis says:

I’m an admirateur from France for your work and your talent, congratulation for this award, it’s a normal because you have make a very beautiful film and this short story are so professional, and receive this price by mister Oliver STONE waaahouu !!! tank’s so much
    I follows you, when a long film ??? Sorry for my approximative English..

6. KTadmin says:

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

7. Sara says:

Nicely done. Respect! :)

Sara

8. Gordon says:

fantastic movie and music..
    i love your work.

9. cavatappi says:

A mesmerizing piece! Wonderful imagery supported by an entrancing soundtrack. I was engaged the whole time. I want to know what happens next. That’s good storytelling.

10. ok says:

Congratulations on the award, loved the whole cinematography. The idea was simple, cost- effective yet very deeply engaging and dramatic. Great effort for the first film, hope to see a lot more from you and the team.

Cheers !

11. Excellent camera work, Karl. Canon all the way! love my 5d mark2 , you have inspired me to use the video on it now :) Thanks

12. Chris MacDonald says:

Very many congratulations to you and your team on winning the award for the Short film
    ” No Regrets “

13. Pam Goodey says:

Well done and congratulations to you and your team Karl for winning this award, you deserve it! Superb effects, colours and lighting……..very inspiring!

14. Fiona Bushby says:

Absolutley beautiful , very moving with the music and fabulous night shots.
    Well done.

15. William Lee says:

Congratulations on your award! Great video and the composition and lighting are perfect. Hope to watch more video from you.

16. Errol says:

Loved the end result. Did she ever find what she was looking for? lol. Looking forward to putting my DSLR to similar tests. Great work!!

17. marco g says:

I really liked the way you use different lenses and different techniques and you can tell that is very good photographer who grabbed the video (Stanley Kubrick sometimes was director and director of photography). Yet I think for a film its too didactic, too many styles confuse the viewer and you can forget what’s happening cause you’re focusing on those stunning perspective or lapse-time parts. It surprises me how nice can be a movie grabbed with a camera! Very good job and good luck for the next one!

18. KTadmin says:

Thanks to everyone for your feedback, much appreciated!