The Story

Karl says   “In order not to overcomplicate my first attempt at a short film I deliberately kept the script simple and open to interpretation. I chose to portray the basics of human emotional turmoil that we can all relate to, and combine this with a variety of camera angles, focal lengths and depths of field to accommodate that story effectively. My first and foremost concern was to find interesting visuals that could be realistically accomplished without having to hire a helicopter and ton of filming equipment but still make the viewer “fall” into the images. The time-lapse sequences were introduced to add a sense of  “ in the grand scheme of things thinking” from the girls thoughts and for visual effect into the film. I think between us we achieved that and full credit goes to Colette who did a brilliant job in portraying what I wanted to capture.”

This entry was posted in The Making of No Regrets. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Story

1. WOW! So moving! I was drawn in from the start. I felt her pain, turmoil, loneliness and longing. WOW! Incredible!

2. KTadmin says:

Thanks Dorrain much appreciated

3. jim says:

i cant believe i watched that for 10 mins karl,normaly if i was flicking through the tv id just keep on going if i came across that type of movie.

so i dont know if it was the music,the pretty girl or a unusual need to know what would happen kept me glued till the end.

so i dont want to say it was to good incase you go of and become a hollywood producer as i realy enjoy your photography videos “well ok then” it was outstanding even more so being a first attempt.

production and camera wise,my fav parts were scenes starting out of focus and a object in focas moving into a new scene “the glass being put down on the table and the close up of her drinking.

i could go on but i agree with oliver,that your a well deserved winner mate

please keep up with your uploads of future work and good luck for future productions.

4. DEBS says:

Realy inspiring, cammera strengths effects just great, Models emotion look genuine spontaneous.The back drop of landscape night and nite lights just great Karl.
    Deb NEW ZEALAND

5. Patrick Boening says:

Karl you are a very, very good stills photographer….stay with what you’re good at.
    Best regards,
    Pat

6. Felice floyd says:

I’m so proud of you. I have been following you for quite some time now and I get encouraged more and more every time you do something new. Thanks for keeping me inspired.

7. LEV says:

PLEASE DO NOT CALL THIS CRAP A FILM. CARL, YOU ARE A GOOD PHOTOGRAPHER BUT TO BE A FILM MAKER YOU HAVE TO DO A LITTLE MORE THAN CAST A PRETTY GIRL AND PULL FOCUS FROM ONE THING TO ANOTHER.

THIS IS A PIECE OF GARBAGE.

• KTadmin says:

Wow, some no nonsense feedback there Lev! In response; I think you need to consider what is explained on the webpage; this was a first attempt, with no budget and a quickly prepared script. In addittion I wrote the script, did the filming, the planning, the editing and post-production with some assistance on location from my team.

We didn’t have the resources of Vincent Laforie (or the backing from Canon) on the short film “Reverie” which also aimed to demonstrate the capabilities of HD-DSLRs for this type of production (It would be interesting to hear what you thought of “Reverie”)

Under usual circumstances I would imagine someone endevouring to make a film would have a scriptwriter, a camera team, a director, a director of photography, producers, editing, plus special effects team. We made this with pretty much one camera and 3 lenses.

Upon completion I tentatively entered the film in a competition that was being judged by a renowned Holywood director and to my surprise it won! I don’t claim to be a filmmaker (well not yet anyway) but the experiment here was to see what myself and my colleagues could achieve from a visual perspective (using DSLRs). Our goal, as always was to demonstrate that with a bit of imagination and minimal kit that most people could attempt something like this too. Our ethos is to inspire people through training and by example, I believe that is what we have achieved here.

• Nick says:

lev! you are a moron. i don’t see you doing anything worth while. if you can do better then post something up on youtube and let the world see how awesome a film maker you are. you didn’t pay to see it so go stick your rude comments up your ****.

constructive critism would help not your comments of someone’s first attempt at using consumer dslr to make a short film.

great job karl!!! keep up the good work and hope to see more short films in the future.

8. Really great film. I am working with a 7d and experiencing serious issues with shutter roll while panning and lots of moire. Your film did not show any of these problems, so please let me know how you accomplished this very good looking, smooth film process.
    Thanks

9. Nik Pemble says:

Congratulations Karl…this is awesome. Some shots for me work better than others….but that is just personal taste. What you try to convey comes through in abundance. There is some really thought provoking shot and editing in there. This just shows what can be done with DSLR these days and a decent sprinkling of …..tions…..motivation, inspiration, innovation, experimentation to name but a few. Well done mate. Enjoy it!

10. Andy Ord says:

It’s great the fact we are left wondering why she stormed out of that hotel, we can all make assumptions of what happened in that room. Great photography throughout, hopefully leading to bigger and better ventures. Good effort Karl & Team.